Where In The World Are You??

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"Bad" Hair is Really "Good" Hair...

After a frustrating day of being stuck late at work and having to reschedule my Sisterlocks consultation for the second time, I did what I always do when I need to unwind....I went to the dog park. For me, there is no greater stress relief than puppy love and seeing my dog run and play with other dogs. I feel like a proud mom that takes her child to kindergarten on their first day and watches with joy as the child immediately bonds with other children.

I have a beagle though, so often while the other dogs are frolicking and playing, Sydney is fixated on the trees just waiting to catch a glimpse of a squirrel. It's quite a show when she see one because her ears go up and she cocks her head to the side and points like a perfect hound dog would. Her tail whips through the air and she bays to alert me of her find...AROOooooo!!! When she's really excited, she runs to the gate of the park and tries to dig her way out to catch that darn squirrel before he gets away.

People are amazed when I bring Sydney to the park because I often take my cat, Sammy, with us. I have a little pouch that fits onto my chest like a backpack that he fits into like a kangaroo joey in their mother's pouch. Believe it or not, he's rather relaxed in the midst of all of these hyper little dogs and is content to watch them play while he steals the attention of the other people at the park. Ahhh yes...there is nothing better than to be loved by the animals.

I was sportin' the regular ole' 1960's/1970's fro today when one of the white girls at the park came up to me and said how much she loved my hair. She commented on how soft it looked (and felt cuz you know she had to touch it). I had a coil set a few weeks ago so she asked if this was what happens to my hair when I take the coils out. She was awestruck when I told her that my fro was nothing more than my hair picked out and patted into a uniform shape. When I think about it, I've kind of been the one-woman hair show for the people at the park as I've been trying out new styles. You see, everyone there is white as I currently live in a predominantly white suburban area of northern California.

I grew up in a community of mixed race but was surrounded by whites at school all the while. When I think back, white people have always been intrigued by my hair and black hair in general. I can't count how many times I've had to explain that no, I don't have to wash my hair everyday...a perm for black people makes the hair straight instead of curly...yes, putting a little oil in my hair is good for it...no that's not that girl's real hair or yes it's hers because she bought it. I think the funniest though was when I went from my regular hair to long microbraids and a kid said to me "Wow, I didn't know your hair was so long! You must have really been curling it up tight!!"

I've had white people tell me that they're jealous of the versatility of black hair. I must admit that initially this took me by surprise because I always thought that white hair must be more versatile. You see so many different natural colors, textures, and easy day to day styles that I always assumed it was easier for them. After all, I've never been able to swoop my natural hair up into a ponytail with ease while standing in line at the DMV! What I'm realizing now that I've grown to love and accept my nappy hair is that what I always considered to be "bad" hair is in reality "good" hair. I am thankful that my hair has so much potential and can do things that white girls' hair can never do. I feel as though I'm a member of a special club.

My boyfriend is also white with thick unruly hair of his own. Needless to say, he is always amused and perplexed with all of the changes that he's seen my hair go through. He kept referring to my coil set as dreadlocks and I kept having to explain that the style was only temporary while locks are permanent. I've shown him pictures of Sisterlocks, but I know that he doesn't really get that my hair is going to look like that. It's actually kind of fun to be able to teach him some of the intricate differences in culture between us.

I've thankfully been able to reschedule my Sisterlocks consultation for tomorrow and I'm putting the world to a stop so that I can be there. My consultant is already frustrated with me and I can't blame her, but, when you work in surgery, time is nothing more than a 4-letter word. I'm really excited!!! I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Snappy

Anyway, here's a few more pictures to enjoy!


This is Kevin and I on our visit to Alcatraz...yeah it's one of those fake backgrounds but at least now we finally have a picture of us together....


This is Sydney with her "...it wasn't me" face and as the Diva Dog of Summer

Who let the cat outta the bag???


3 comments:

CarmenNC said...

Welcome to SL! Come back with pictures and keep posting. I have Sisterlock, the dog, but where's my white man? If you visit enough blogs you'll understand that question.

brunsli said...

LOL! Carmen is cracking me up!! There was a time when 9 out of the 10 people I knew with SLs has white boyfriends or husbands. I think I blogged about this in December 2005.

Anyway, I just nodded my head along with your post, from the one-woman hair show to the initial shock that other people would want versatile hair like ours.

You and your boyfriend look good together. :)

Vixen said...

You two are so funny! I guess the white men appreciate us in our natural state...