I've been noticing quite a bit of slippage each time I wash my hair. My first official retightening is scheduled for January 16th but I called my consultant because I was concerned. She fit me in to come in and take a look and see if she could figure out what the issue might be.
I absolutely LOVE my consultant Wendy. She's been doing Sisterlocks for 8 years and really knows her stuff! Not only that, even though she works from home, she runs a tight ship. She is very professional and I truly appreciate that. When I arrived on Thursday for her to look things over, I was immediately panicked as I'd just washed my hair again so that I'd have a clean head for her to look at.
I told her, "Wendy, I promise you that I've been doing everything that you told me to do to the letter! My Friday ritual is to braid-n-band so that I can wash my hair at some point over the weekend. I don't take the b&b out until my hair is dry. I haven't put any products on my hair other than distilled water, and I haven't gone crazy with hair accessories. I've used my Carusos but those are harmless as they are only using steam, and I haven't used any shampoo other than the Sisterlocks Starter Shampoo!"
As she took a look through my hair, Wendy said....."Take a breath!! Breathe!!" It turns out that the issue is simply the texture of my hair. Apparently, the texture of my hair is softer than we originally thought so she retightened what she could in the time that we had, and I'll still go back on the 16th so that she can finish.
I guess I would call this my first bump along the way, and it's good to know that sometimes even though you are maintaining your locks perfectly, there will be issues that come up that are out of your control. Wendy said that she installed my locks with the tightest lock pattern available but sometimes the texture of the hair dictates what changes you have to make in your daily regimen. So now, I will wash my hair every 2 weeks instead of every week, but other than that, I'm doing okay. Darn, I'll so miss those other 2 Fridays of braiding and banding!! Yeahhhh right!!!
Sunday, January 6, 2008
My Nappy Is Not So Nappy....
Labels:
baby locks,
caruso curlers,
consultant,
good hair,
retightening,
sisterlocks,
the journey,
wendy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I had the marathon 6 1/2 retightening session because my locs had come out around the nape of my neck ( about 1 1/2 inches) and along the ear where I sleep. I have since gone to washing x 2 weeks and not using headbands that grip around the back.
My loctician told me that my hair was not as nappy as I thought. I am having some slippage but not as much as before. I get retightened this Friday.
I know how you feel :(
Isn't it amazing that when we were kids our mothers made it seem like our hair was so nappy that it was completely unmanageable and we thought we had this rough and tough, super nappy hair only to find out now that our hair is so soft that it's hard to get our locks started?
Post a Comment