I've received several comments on my post A Bipolar Christmas and I just want to say how much I appreciate not only the encouragement, but also the knowledge that I've been able to possibly help others to be aware of the issue, and let people know that there are others out there dealing with it.
We, as African Americans, tend to neglect our personal health and I'm not sure why. I've known people that have died from cancer knowing that they had a tremendous tumor, but refused to go to the doctor because they said that they "didn't want to know." By the time they finally decided to go to the doctor, there were no treatment options left as their cancer had spread out of control. Our stigma when it comes to mental health is no different, if not worse.
I was apprehensive about writing my bipolar post but I just needed to write as I find that my blog is very therapeutic for me and I love the feedback. I'm so thankful that I did indeed write the post and I will continue to blog about the disorder. I praised God when I read your comments as it did my heart good to know that if I can help just one person, then I am doing work that he has called me to do. If you ever have questions or need help, please don't hesitate to ask me. I've lived with this for 15+ years now and am happy to share. You can email me by going to my profile if you'd like to ask a question privately.
Thank you all so much for the warmth and acceptance that you have given to me!!! May God bless you and keep you in perfect peace.
Sunday, January 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment