So I open my mailbox and there it is....the statement from the hospital showing the charges being billed to my health insurance company from my recent ER visit. First of all, let me say that I thank God for health insurance as I know there are millions of Americans and people worldwide that don't have the luxury. I often wonder though what is it that makes the cost of healthcare so expensive and working in an operating room, it's easy to see from a surgical standpoint where things add up. The amount of drugs given to a patient during the course of surgery and during their postoperative care; working in orthopedics, I see all of the hardware that goes into a patient for a back surgery or neck surgery and I can understand why a hospital stay can add up to thousands of dollars.I've recently become ever so vigilant though in evaluating my personal healthcare costs and seeing how easy it is for mistakes to slip through the cracks at the patient's expense. I've learned that insurance companies and doctor's offices won't hunt you down when they owe you money, but so often bankrupt people that owe them. As patients, we have to stay on top of things ourselves and know where our money is going. Realize that even though you may pay a small copay, the cost to the insurance company determines the ultimate cost to you.
Anyway, I opened the statement and couldn't make sense of the charges. One charge for the pharmacy and a different charge for the drugs?? Huh?? You wanna run dat by me again?? I called the billing office and tried to get more information. Now of course the billers just mail the bills so they can't actually tell you about any of the magical codes you've been billed for but, at least they were able to send me a detailed statement of the charges billed to my insurance.
Here's the breakdown.....you might want to sit down for this one....

1 steroid injection.....a total of $114.00



a single reading from the pulse oximeter
(you know the thing they clip on your finger with the red light
that reads your oxygen level in 10 seconds or less)
Let me recap the experience for you....I walk in after being scolded by the security guard for driving too fast (I mean I'm only headed into the EMERGENCY room) to give my name and a clipboard is shoved in my face with marked places to sign. No time to read, this is an emergency!
Next, I fill out the paperwork with my stats and insurance information. I wait. I wait.
I'm called in by the triage nurse who sticks the pulse ox onto my finger, takes my blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate you know all the vital signs. She and another nurse chat back and forth about who's going to take their break now and who can wait until later. Well you know so and so can go help out in such and such area because there are patients that have been waiting there for up to four hours already. I'm scolded for scratching my uncontrollable itch then shuffled down the hall to sit and wait.

The doctor who looks like the guy from Honey I Shrunk the Kids comes in and does a basic exam and explains the medicines that he's prescribing. He disappears and I wait.



My wannabe hippie / black panther is coming out and screaming "RAGE! RAGE AGAINST THE INSTITUTION" but alas the reality is that I'm one lowly patient who is dependent upon this system to keep me functioning from day to day, and that my dear friends is a sad state of affairs. If you haven't already seen the movie, Sicko, it's quite enlightening particularly if you are comparing the U.S. with other countries. As constituents, we need to fight for greater rights when it comes to healthcare and be vigilant about keeping watch over our bills. Our health is all we have and sooner or later, we will depend on the healthcare centers to care for all of our needs.




9 comments:
My SO was involved in a car accident which left him $700,000 in debt, in the hospital for 7 weeks and the woman who hit him had no insurance, drivers license and left the state. Hence, no monetary relief for him. That's another ugly story.
After me dealing with some really bad MD's for 7 weeks, I can remember telling one of his extremely rude and uncaring MD's that "One day You are going to get ill or injured, I pray that you get a doctor just like you"
Enough said on the state of US health care.
thanks for hitting my site on the "black girls are ugly..." post. the healthcare system is definately on it's way to collapsing. as for insurance companies - patients hate them and doctors hate them even more!
Oh gosh, we all call the National Health Service in the UK but at least it`s free...Salt n pepper, what happens if your SO can`t pay.
Oh god, I just saw Sicko last week and was even MORE disgusted with US healthcare than I already had been. Your bill is just further proof of how jacked up it is. Benadryl that you can get for 50 cents costing you nearly 200 times as much!?!?!? Come on!
But it's a shame that unless you have a GOOD private insurance that gives you control over your own healthcare needs, you won't get top care. What's even more amazing is the actual amount that the insurance pays to the hospitals - it's usually wayyy less than the bills. I hope you'll follow up with that.
Damn, I am in the wrong profession. I should have been a doctor. Next time I go to the ER I am going to bring my own benadryl and Pepcid AC. Them kids better not even think about getting sick, I mean not a cough or a sneeze.
Lakia you are too funny! Like I said, I thank God that I have insurance so I should only have to pay a little bit of it. Otherwise I might be blogging from the po' house!
Sicko just reinforced what I had already thought about our healthcare system. I've been in and out of hospitals my whole life and the bills are insane. I remember going to the ER back in college, I was having stomach pains and vomiting. First, they checked my blood pressure, did a pregnancy test, took some blood samples, and decided it was food poisoning. No prescription was given and I was told to drink plenty of liquids. The saddest part is I had been in the waiting area hours before they finally saw me and was feeling a little better. If my boyfriend at the time hadn't urged me to stay I would have gone home to bed.
The sound in my mother's voice telling me the bill she received was heart-breaking. It was over $2,000 and I couldn't figure out how that was possible. But you have to pay for the Nurse that takes your stats, the Dr. that just speaks with you (regardless if anything is prescribed), the Nurse who takes your blood, the tech who processes your test results, the equipment that's used for every possible procedure they could get out of you. Since that experience I have not even fathomed going to the ER.
Dr's are always questioning why certain people wait so long before asking for medical assistance..WTF? If you're living paycheck to paycheck, receiving an extra expense is not cool.
I can gripe about our healthcare system all day and nothing will change. Alot of hospitals bank on those without insurance not paying, so they overcharge the ones who actually have the insurance.
Regardless of how bitter I am, I am still thankful to have insurance. Sorry for such a long comment....
Meikmeika your comments are always welcome, long or short. A couple years ago Morgan Spurlock, the guy who did the documentary Supersize Me did a 30 day experiment on living off of minimum wage for 30 days. Both he and his girlfriend got sick and had to go to the ER and the bills were outrageous.
All this and we have a president who vetoes a bill extending healthcare coverage to the children of the working poor. Something is definitely wrong with this picture!
Post a Comment