Okay, I admit....I often read posts on the LockItUp Yahoo group dedicated to all things Sisterlocks. In talking with my consultant about things I've read as well as getting Dr. Cornwell's opinion, I'm finding that there is a great deal of misinformation on the site. I continue to read because it's interesting to hear different experiences that others have had, nice to be able to add input sometimes, and it's a great place to find links to others' blogs and pictures of their locks.What bothers me though is the number of people that have seen Sisterlocks, fallen in love with them, and ultimately taken the plunge to get their locks installed but are hell bent on being completely DIY afterward. I made a significant financial investment in my locks and that investment continues with each retightening, but I'm of the mind set that in order for me to get those beautiful locks that I've drooled over, I have to follow all aspects of the process as they were intended. Personally, I enjoy visiting my consultant for my retightenings because I have the confidence in her that if there are any problem areas with considerable slippage, etc., she has the ability to address the issue and coach me on things that I can do to improve the situation. She also recognizes that some problem areas are simply attributable to the softer texture of my hair in some areas and that it will take those areas a little longer to settle and ultimately lock.
I use my Sisterlocks Starter Shampoo every time I wash my hair and I'm glad that my consultant keeps some on hand so that when I get low on my supply, I can purchase more from her when I go in for retightenings. My process is slow going so far. I have a couple of areas of my hair that are still slipping but gradually, they are getting better. I've registered to take the retightening class during Homecoming weekend in the event that work transfers me to my next location and there may not be a certified consultant available nearby. Either way, I wouldn't dream of trying to just wing it and retighten my own hair without the proper education on the Sisterlocks technique.
I hear more stories of people using other products on brand new locks, trying to retighten their own hair with latch hooks, nappylock tools, tweezers, and other things and in my opinion, by using other tools to retighten, they are creating bootleg locks or as Dr. Cornwell calls them "stepsister locks". Perhaps it's the perfectionist in me or just me valuing my own dollars that has me focused on doing everything according to the established Sisterlocks method, but I wanted Sisterlocks and only Sisterlocks.
I also hear the horror stories of nightmare consultants that don't do business as they were taught. Some people have chosen to go to uncertified consultants and again, in my own humble opinion, you can't complain if your locks turn out poorly if you choose not to go to a true professional in order to save a few dollars. I understand and know first hand that Sisterlocks are expensive; no sugar coating on that, but if you can't afford to make the investment, why not save up until you can go to the best, or choose a different type of lock that will be better suited to your budget.
When I went in for my consultation, my consultant was just finishing up with another client that she's had for about five years and the woman's locks were gorgeous. My consultant's locks are gorgeous (her photo shoot pictures made the SL website too!), as are her son's brotherlocks that she does. She has a scrapbook showing some of the clients that she's worked on over the years, and has been a certified consultant for about 8 years! I liked how strict she was in governing her time with appointments and she went over every instruction with me step by step. I respect her so much for that.
It makes me wonder in some of these nightmare stories that I read about if the client asked enough questions during the consultation, if they have a "bootleg consultant", or if they are trying to be a super power DIY girl without knowing what they're doing. I'm sure retightening the hair is probably very easy to learn and the patterns aren't that difficult, but if you really want the Sisterlocks that you've dreamed of why wouldn't you take the correct steps to learn the proper technique? Again, if it's a financial issue, save up the money or opt for a different style of locks altogether.
A friend of mine saw pictures of my locks and liked them and was interested in investigating them for herself. Of course, she wanted to know if there was a video that her current hairdresser could watch to learn how to do it in order to do her hair as she "wouldn't trust anyone else with her hair". I told her that if she wasn't willing to pay the expense and go about things the right way, then don't bother doing it at all.
In general, why is it that our people are so committed to trying to save money by getting a knock-off of the real thing, or selling a bootleg copy of something to try to make a dollar. Whether it's your hair, a CD, DVD, or clothing, if you really like the real thing that much, why buy the bootleg version? Realize that there are just things in this life that you either have to save up for or simply can't afford. And, as much as we black women obsess over our hair and in some cases, partially define ourselves by our hair, don't we deserve the best? Why play with a bootleg version when you have a greater likelihood for success with the real thing. Quality costs money and you have no right to complain if you haven't done your research or are trying to find a way to save a dollar by not opting for the real thing.
Pride does not wish to owe and vanity does not wish to pay.
~François de la Rochefoucauld
There is nothing so agonizing to the fine skin of vanity as the application of a rough truth. ~Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton




23 comments:
I wholeheartedly agree with you E! Getting and maintaining SL is an expense, but as you have stated, why bother to complain if you haven't done the research. And true there are some less than dignified "consultants" that's why it is important to retain the services of a certified consultant.
Great on point post!
i am not familiar with many of the posts on the lock it up site, but i think some women believe that 'natural', by definition, should mean "cheap to keep." anyway, compared to what the average Black woman spends on hair upkeep, sisterlocks are a bargain. i just read an article that talked about hair management being an impediment to exercise for Black women. what price can one put on stroke, cardiac disease, diabetes and premature death?
ps - a shout out to the diva salt-n-pepper!
I ended up having to do my own hair because of being put on bedrest due to a high risk pregnancy. I've been on bed rest going on one month with no end in sight. I'm not exaggerating. My hair grows like a weed and I needed to maintain my hair somehow because I paid too much money to have my hair looking worse than a dead crackhead's. I know you are referencing me when you're talking about the LIU group.
Doing it yourself isn't hard, it's not brain surgery, it's really really simple and to be brutally honest a chimp could probably do a fabulous job at it. It is very boring and tedious but it can be rewarding in a way.
I realized by doing my hair myself that my certified consultant had "married" together the locks on roughly 4/5ths of my head. Meaning that loose hair from other locks were somehow put into the pattern of neighboring locks. Not noticeable until it was time to retighten. I did my hair myself (using a reverse 4 pattern) and I found that where my hair had been slipping since installation stopped slipping. I had locks that had come completely out 2 weeks after retightening that are doing better than they ever have now that I redid them. And I used tweezers to create them and then retightened a week later with the nappylocs tool.
Would I have rather had my consultant retighten me? Well after seeing the poor job of retightening she had done, I now say no. Because her poor job would have cost me hundreds in terms of getting it retightened. Good for her, bad for me.
Would I have rather taken the sisterlocks course to learn to do it? yes. But I couldn't because for some silly reason you have be locked for at least 6 months with the blessing of your consultant in order to take it. But I've read about where people paid the $250 for a class that lasted less than one hour, which is a ripoff to me.
But even if I did take it, using the nappylocks tool is so much easier and more efficient when it comes to retightening, which is why so many people seem to prefer to use that tool than the sisterlocks tools.
For me, it wasn't about money, it was about my well-being and that of my baby. If there weren't so many silly restrictions when it comes to sisterlocks that are in place only to increase profits, then there wouldn't be an issue. The only reason Dr. Cornwell had an issue with nappylocs is because she knew it would cut into her profits because it was (from all that I have gathered) the exact same technique (which she even admits isn't much of a secret or patented) with a better tool and it cost much less.
According to Dr. Cornwell's logic, a person has step-sisterlocks even if they use the same pattern, but a different tool to retighten their hair. According to Dr. Cornwell, it's bootleg to not use the Sisterlocks haircare products or to follow the instructions to the letter. Everyone is different and sisterlocks are not "one size fits all."
All I get from this post is sisterlocks snobbery, and it's what keeps sisterlocks consultants and Dr. Cornwell pulling in the dough. Sisterlocks snobbery would have me waste the money I spent on the install, look like crap my entire pregnancy, and spend hundreds of dollars to get my sisterlocks redone whenever I get off of bed rest. Who does that benefit? Any other hair care professional would tell you what you need to do in order for you to do it yourself. It won't benefit them, but it will keep a customer happy and coming back to them when they're able to.
The bottom line: the part of my locks that I retightened myself looks MUCH better than the part that had been "officially sisterlocked" by a certified consultant. If asked, I say "I have sisterlocks". That's how it was started, I've got the sisterlocks parting, I paid more than enough money to get them. And there are many ladies out there with beautiful sisterlocks who maintain them by themselves who have never taken the sisterlocks retightening course. Or those with beautiful sisterlocks who took the course but do not use the official tools. Those are some beautiful "step-sisterlocks" - just as and even more beautiful than "sisterlocks".
Hmmm... I'm going to apologize in advance if this turns into an extremely long post but here goes:
There are some people whog go through the SL installation with the intent of switching to DIY, because they want to have the precise parting that sets SLs apart from other types of locks. But I think that the vast majority of people who switch to DIY have other things going on in their lives which take precedent over their hair, which they may or may not feel comfortable posting about.
For example, I switched to DIY without taking the class after my job starting doing massive layoffs. Luckily, I was never let go but my financial situation has changed drastically... I'm bringing home a 3rd less income than I was at the time of install. So hair is somewhere waaay down the lsit of things that I want to try to fit into my budget lol.
After having met other women with SLs in person, I can honestly say that my hair looks no different from theirs... other than the differences that can attributed to texture. And more importantly, the portions of my hair that I've retightened look no different from the area that the consultant maintained.
I didn't take your post personally but I do think that it is important for women who have made the sizable investment to have their locks installed know that they don't have to resort to taking down their locks or walking around looking like a "dead crack head" (too funny) if their situation changes and they can not take the class for what ever reason.
As for whether using another tool, shampoo, or whatever makes your locks SLS or something else altogether I don't really have anything to say about that. I've never been one who has to have name-brand anything so being able to call my locks SLs was never a priortiy. Inf fact, when they were initially installed and people asked me what they were I always referred to them as "locks". I decided to pay the money for SLs because I felt assured that I would end up with a standardized product by getting my locks installed by a certified consultant from the Sisterlocks homepage. I was lucky, but I have seen numerous posts from individuals who used consultants/trainees from the Sisterlocks homepage and ended up with jacked up locks. I think that Dr. Cornwell will have to implement some sort of oversight or ongoing QA process to ensure that those who are listed on the site are actually using SL standards and guidelines in order to protect the Sisterlocks name.
That being said, I'll forever be greatful that I heard of SLs and was fortunate enough to be able to have them installed because I probably wouldn't be locked today if I hadn't found out about them.
Take care,
s0utherngirl
Tina, you've done nothing but complain from the first moment that you got your Sisterlocks which begs the question why did you bother to get them in the first place? Dr. Cornwell, who I've met and spent time talking with is so not about money. She is about taking pride in yourself and having the best locs that you can possibly have be they Sisterlocks or other types of locs.
Many, many people do not do the research on Sisterlocks that they need to and I must say that I think you are included in that group. The 6 months needed before taking the retightening class is to give the locks a chance to settle in completely so that when you begin to retighten your own hair you can be confident that your locks are in good shape.
If you are unhappy with the work that your consultant has done, perhaps you have one of the very consultants that I've blogged about. I personally have a FABULOUS consultant who has been able to address any and every issue that I've had in regards to my locks. She has been certified since 2001 and has been doing Sisterlocks full time since 2004.
She gives instructions based on the principles that she learned, the Sisterlocks principle, because she is a Sisterlocks consultant.
Many people offered you suggestions as to ways that your consultant might be able to help you during your pregnancy, and other advice about manipulating your locks too early on, etc. and you have been more than inflammatory with all of them, so why do you bother posting?
You have referenced that you don't want your hair to look nappy many times but based on the fact that you needed and wore a relaxer in your hair for so long, I think it's fair to say that you have nappy hair. Nappy, kinky, whatever you want to call it, and if you cannot accept your nappy hair and be proud of your kinky napps, then why go natural at all??
The bottom line is that you do not seem well versed on the concept of Sisterlocks at all and it doesn't seem that you've really done your research. If you are happy with your hair than great, you have to live with it. If I'm an example of "Sisterlocks Snobbery" as you put it then I'm more than happy to wear that label.
I have Sisterlocks fully and completely and my Sisterlocks are beautiful. I use Sisterlocks products that work very well on my Sisterlocks. I have a wonderful Sisterlocks consultant that only does Sisterlocks. I have already registered for the Sisterlocks Retightening class because yes while I know it's not brain surgery (as brain surgery is a part of my normal career), but I choose to learn how to retighten my Sisterlocks as Sisterlocks. My career requires me to travel and in the event I may not live near a Certified Sisterlocks Consultant, I would like to be able to maintain my Sisterlocks according to the Sisterlocks method. I did my research well and was certain that I wanted Sisterlocks. Now that I have Sisterlocks, I'll continue to maintain my Sisterlocks as Sisterlocks.
Dr. Cornwell is a well educated and classy elegant woman whom I respect and admire. Just because she is a savvy businesswoman doesn't mean that she is greedy and about the almighty dollar. She cares about people and is rightfully proud of the Sisterlocks concept that she has worked so hard to achieve and educate others on. If she was not successful, there would not be people wearing Sisterlocks and maintaining their locks as Sisterlocks all around the world.
Since you are such an expert at Sisterlocks, why did you bother to go to a Sisterlocks consultant for your install? Sounds to me that you indeed ARE the very type of person that I blogged about. I'm proud of my Sisterlocks and my Sisterlocks snobbery and there will never be a doubt in my mind that my locs are the real and true Sisterlocks that they are meant to be.
s0utherngirl - I can completely understand having a change in financial situation and I think your locks look great. My post was more directed toward those who have Sisterlocks but don't follow the advice of their consultants or those consultants who don't follow the Sisterlocks principles.
You will always be cool with me b/c you're an Orlando girl!! I used to live in Orlando and Altamonte Springs!! ha ha Believe me, I do understand that situations change and in those cases, yes, it is only appropriate that hair takes a back seat to those things more important. Take Care!!
s0utherngirl - I almost forgot, give Kennedy a big kiss for me!!
My comment seems to not have posted. No worries.
Here's the post I've been working on for about a week (and finally finished today)
http://natureltina.blogspot.com/2008/03/pet-peeve-1-sisterlock-snobbery.html
And that's all I have to say about that.
see you at the homecoming with your 110% SISTERLOCKS.
Tina, perhaps you can't see it but your comments did indeed post. You've said your peace and you have your opinion. I've posted a response to your comment but don't feel the need to visit the negativity that your blog represents. Again, I AM PROUD OF MY SISTERLOCKS and always will be and prefer to communicate with others of a more positive and constructive nature. Good luck on your pregnancy and with your locks because from the sounds of it, you're really going to need it.
I agree with your post here. I can't use the starter shampoo, I use the knotty boy instead. With sisterlocks you gotta do your research and you just can't depend on reading a few blogs and focusing on those with gorgeous locks and calling it "research".
And I hate it when those with sisterlocks bash Dr. Cornwell when they think that they know it all. (Sorry, In had to vent on that one)
I did want to throw in this analogy:
If your doctor prescibes you medicine for a cold, how can you bash him for you not getting well, if you didn't do as he prescribed...
Lakia, you are right on the money and I couldn't have said it better!!
If a doctor gives you medicine and for some reason you find that you can't take it (horrid side effects or bad interaction) it's not your fault and the doctor will find a way to help you. There's no need to blame a doctor if they're HELPING you.
You take it upon yourself to assume that I only researched the "goodlooking" sisterlocks blogs and ignored the bad looking ones. I researched the good, the bad, and the ugly. Do I know it all? NO WAY! And I never said I did, nor do I think I know it all when it comes to sisterlocks. When I brought up not wanting to look like the bad or ugly ones, (and I didn't name names or anything) apparently I offended a WHOLE LOTTA PEOPLE and made enemies without knowing it until Pam brought it to my attention. Sure I have my sisterlock favorites - because by looking at their hair, it gives me hope for mine in the future. I'm not gonna look at the bad and ugly to give me hope for the future!
But bottom line is this: all of you who are looking down on me are holding Dr. Cornwell up on a god-like pedestal that no one dare talk ill of. I don't understand that, especially not when it's just someone you met for a few minutes or hung around for a few hours or heard give a speech. I've never met her, but the actions don't sit well with me. I'd love to meet her and I'm sure I'd actually like her.
The part that everyone is overlooking when it comes to me is that DOING MY OWN HAIR IS NOT SOMETHING I DECIDED TO DO JUST BECAUSE I FELT LIKE IT. I DIDN'T WAKE UP ONE DAY AND SAY "SCREW THE ESTABLISHMENT! I'M GONNA DO IT MYSELF! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!"
And you're looking at me like I'm the worst person on earth because instead of risking my pregnancy for a HAIRSTYLE or letting my investment in my hair (and my hair) go to pot, I'm doing it myself even though I DIDN'T WANT TO, didn't plan to, and STILL DON'T WANT TO because I want this hairstyle. Do you honestly think I wanted to spend 3 days doing my hair?!??!? I did not! Do you honestly think that I wanted to be doing my own retightenings a month after being installed?!??!?!? I do not! But what else can I do when my consultant offers nothing? What part of this are you ladies failing to comprehend? I can't make it any clearer!
Maybe that's something you would do - just let yourself go and ignore your hair if your consultant offers you NOTHING, and go to your doctors appointments with sorry looking hair that makes crackheads look like gorgeous supermodels, but that's not what I chose to do.
And for anyone to pass judgment on me for that is wrong. That is why I posted my response and feel so passionately against sisterlock snobbery. There are those sisterlocked ladies who completely understand why I'm doing what I'm doing and not passing judgment or looking down on me like I'm scum and wishing me the best.
I know I won't change your closed minds, but I'm thinking that just perhaps you don't truly understand that DIY right now was not what I intended to do when I decided to get sisterocks and that the only reason I'm doing it is because I don't have any other suitable alternative.
I know that you're still going to think I'm lower than dirt for not going to a consultant and for not liking how Dr. Cornwell does business. And I know you're going to continue to insult me, criticize me, and belittle me every chance you get because I chose to take an option that Dr. Cornwell looks down upon. And if I ever meet any of you in real life, (because I do want to one day go to a homecoming and meet Dr. Cornwell and meet with other sisterlocked people) I know there's a very real chance that you'll turn your noses up at me and ostracize me.
The post was a question about "Why the bootleg locks???" I answered the question and got insulted and criticized, flamed. But I bet NO ONE would have a single negative thing to say to me had I been able to take the official class and then did my locks using the exact same pattern I'm using now, since that's the pattern they would have taught me in the retightening course. (How do I know? I read the court decision in the sisterlocks v. nappylocs case months ago while researching.)
Tina, people have responded to you based on the attitude with which you have presented yourself. It is obvious to us that your research is inadequate. You bash nearly everything about Sisterlocks so why bother to get them in the first place?
Your bashing of Dr. Cornwell and how she does business is EXTREMELY offensive to many of us because while she is just a name to you and you bash everything about her, she is an inspiration to the rest of us who have come to know her and beyond her association with Sisterlocks. She is a highly educated woman with 2 careers that makes it a point to inspire people every chance she gets. She is very down to earth even though she is an accomplished writer, professor, and poet. We do take it personally when you bash and put down the things that we are most proud of.
In case you haven't noticed, my blog focuses not only on my hair but positive experiences in my life as well as social consciousness of issues that affect us as individuals and/or as citizens of our country.
When you bring your negativity to my blog it is no different than coming to a party at my house full of guests and bashing each of us personally and those things we hold dear.
People offered you suggestions of ways that your consultant might be able to help you during your pregnancy but instead of taking the advice in stride, you got negative yet again and came up with a million excuses as to why you "didn't want people all up in yo house." You've shared more of a focus on not wanting to look like a crack head as you put it than you have shared the joy of your pregnancy despite being on bedrest.
I don't come to your blog and bash you and those things important to you. On the contrary, I have left comments of genuine concern to hopefully lift you up and still, you come into "my house" with your bitchin'.
You have isolated yourself not only on my blog but within the Sisterlocks community. I have to be direct and honest in saying that if I saw you at Homecoming I'd run the other way, not because of being a snob but because I'd rather surround myself with positive people that don't suck the life out of me with their constant complaining and confrontational nature.
Your comments are no longer welcome here and you can bash me on your blog if you choose but know that I no longer visit your blog because I'm fed up with you and I don't even know you.
While you're on bedrest, take some time to examine yourself and your attitude. If you're hearing some of these same comments from various people then the common denominator is you! Your negativity doesn't become you and is certainly not good for your unborn child.
Perhaps your DIY locks will be exactly what you hoped for. I doubt it, but whatever floats your boat. In the meantime, stop by my blog whenever you'd like a dose of positivity but otherwise keep your bitching to your own blog because it is not welcome here.
Again best of luck to you on your pregnancy and your locks because you are REALLY going to need it. Remember that even in the womb children pick up on the attitude of their mothers. You will benefit your pregnancy experience, your baby, and yourself by learning to exude a positive energy, something that comes from the inside out.
Life is too short to spend it whining, bitching, and moaning about your hair.
Please know that your comments to this blog will no longer be read by me and will be permanently deleted.
Wow! This post has generated quite a bit of drama.
While I suppose I have authentic Sisterlocks, having had them installed and maintained by certified consultants, I don't agree with the anti-DIY position. I've blogged about that myself, so I won't go into it here.
What I really want to mention is that I find the term "step-Sisterlocks" offensive because of the pejorative use of the concept of step-sister. In this day and age (the post-Cinderella era), many people have blended families, and I think it's rude to imply that step-families and half-siblings, for that matter, are worse than the "real thing." This is especially true for African American families, with very high unwed mother rates and families with alternatives to the traditional nuclear family.
Wow all that was some Drama Girl.
It was a good post and great responses given here.
Hey Brunsli - I'm not completely anti-DIY. I'm bothered mainly by those who refuse to follow the advice of certified consultants particularly in the early stages of their locks. For people who are fully locked and "sisterlock veterans" or those whose financial situations have put them in a position that they are unable that's a different story. I'm particularly bothered by the people that are out there marketing themselves as sisterlocks consultants without ever taking the consultant training class and causing very costly hair nightmares. I guess I was offended by those bashing Sisterlocks as well as offended for those people that have experienced the nightmares.
On the step-sister thing...you brought me into an obscure area that I'd never thought of girl! Within our culture in general blended families are a necessity. While our single mothers are doing a wonderful job, I'd bet that many of them would love to have a strong and faithful partner to assist in raising the kids. It is a two person job by God's design and step-siblings can definitely add to the stability of the family.
What's the link to the DIY post you mentioned?
Sez - Girl I had no idea that this post would generate so much constructive discussion (good thing) and drama. I have to say that you all can probably tell from my posts in general that I try to be a really positive person and I share my opinions with respect for others who differ. I am a straight shooter though and shall we say....passionate about my locks?? ha ha
Thanks to everybody for reading and commenting. Now I'll have to think of more topics to blog about that will be as interesting!! Oh the pressure!! ha ha ha
I love your blog but this I have to disagree with. I think it displays a lack of understanding for other's situations outside of your own.
For one, the sisterlock shampoo and other SL products contain chemical ingredients that many don't feel comfortable using. This is why I refused to use it. Dr. Cornwell was definitely onto something in terms of our haircare but it wasn't natural or geared towards health. Then again, some people aren't bothered by chemicals or preservatives in their beauty products and that's fine. For me, I love sisterlocks but hate that the products aren't geared towards a healthier, more natural me.
Also, sisterlocks seem to foster a spirit of dependence and I strive for independence in my life. HAVING to depend on a consultant every 6-8 weeks to complete a 4pt rotation that takes mere seconds for each lock is not worth it to some people. And you know what? There is nothing wrong with that. I absolutely love my consultant and my hair but I have done enough research to understand that I am paying for her time but the skill is easily transferable whether through taking the retightening class or by learning on your own. This is the aspect that reminds me of the creamy crack days and why I think many traditional lockers understand sisterlocks. Many feel locks were meant to set us free - not to transfer the creamy crack mentality to the locked head.
Now, onto the bad consultants out there...it is such a shame. My heart goes out to the poor women who suffer bad experiences at the hands of consultants. For me, my consultant was a MASTER trainer (so you'd think she knew everything, right?) but she only installed 300 locks into my dense, thick and healthy hair. I had my hair reviewed by other consultants who EACH said my hair could have easily held over 450+. My consultant is listed on the website and comes w/ high regard, so don't blame all bad experiences on lack of research because trust me, I did mine and still got the short end of the stick.
I know this is your blog and you have the right to say what you want but this type of mentality reminds me how many Americans behave when they travel overseas and wonder, 'Why doesn't everyone speak English?!?!' Because everyone is different - with different life situations, opinions and priorities. The SL products are not gold, all trained and certified consultants are not gold and even the SL tool is a variation of other tools that do the same thing, just without the brand name.
Why waste time judging other's hair and experiences? Just let them do your thing and you do their thing.
-Jessica
The post I mentioned is from May 8, 2007:
http://brunsli.blogspot.com/2007/05/sisterlocks-snobs-and-threats.html
Thanks Brunsli, I appreciate the info and while we may have differing opinions on some aspects of this topic I appreciate you expressing those difference in the appropriate manner.
I think my mindset is one where I think of the financial investment that I made in getting my locks. For me it was definitely out of my ordinary as I've been natural for almost 6 years and consequently have never been one to spend a ton of money on my hair or hair products. I fell in love with Sisterlocks and am determined to do everything to the letter as my consultant and Dr. Cornwell advises as I of course want to make good on my investment.
It's kind of like when I bought my Ugg boots. I paid more for them than I have for any other shoes I've ever owned so I only use the Ugg maintenance products that they recommend b/c I want my boots to last as long as possible. Would other products work? Quite possibly but I'm not willing to take that chance of ruining what I have.
I know that there are some readers out there that I may have offended with my post but I kind of feel like if you want Nappylocs then get them while if you want Sisterlocks get them. Either way I would recommend using the appropriate products to maintain them in order to receive the desired result.
Like I said and you mentioned on your post, this is a huge investment financially for me. I don't mean to come off as a snob, but I guess I just want exactly what I paid for; no cutting corners.
With my traveling I'm taking the retightening class so that when/if I move to an area where there is no consultant around, I can maintain my own hair during that period of time, and I simply want to make sure that I'm doing that according to the Sisterlocks method.
Again, thank you for expressing your opinion as I think discussion with differing views is healthy. Hope you are/were enjoying your Japan trip. I'm sooooo jealous!!!
I support you, your opinions and your post. I have presented some controversial topics on my blog as well. I like how you articulate yourself regardless of whether or not I agree with you. Much Love!
-Sophia
Post a Comment