Where In The World Are You??

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I Feel Pretty, Oh So Pretty.....

I got up to go to work this morning and as I stepped out of the house to walk Sydney, I felt a new sense of confidence that I haven't felt in a very long while. I'm generally very comfortable with myself in the sense that I know that I have many things to offer to the world. I'm honest, intelligent, and caring, adventurous, humorous, and intense, but today, I felt pretty. As women, we so often look in the mirror and merely glance at ourselves. We pay attention to our hair and makeup, but do our best to avoid everything below.

As I walked outside today though, I had a new sense of self. It was a confidence that said, "I love my new look! I love my hips, my curves, my sass!" I feel as if I'm going through a complete transformation both inside and out. I wear braces on my teeth to correct a problematic childhood injury. I have embarked on a new adventure with my hair, and I've been trying to take time out to exercise a few days a week.

I've never been a "prissy" woman. In fact, I've always fancied myself as a "frump queen". I love wearing jeans and t-shirts, turtlenecks, and sweaters, and shopping for clothes has always been a dreaded chore for me. After all, if it costs more than $19.99 then it's expensive!! My one weakness is shoes but not in the way most women have. I wouldn't wear a pair of heels if you paid me to, but I love the chunky rubber soles of Keens, my Brooks running shoes, and my Uggs!! I scared myself recently when I actually bought a purse to match my boots!!

Even with new found outer confidence, it's still easy to be shaken on the inside. While at work today I received an instant message from one of my managers. This particular manager has been the most vocal about prohibiting me from returning to Trinidad to continue my medical missions trip (see my posts The Politics of Jealousy parts one and two). She led in with superficial conversation only to later allude to her opinion that I don't deserve to go on the trip. She did all of this while trying to maintain a tone as if we were friends.

As I let the conversation sink in, I felt greatly saddened and hurt. I had never imagined that people could be so nasty to me when after all, I was doing something good! In the midst of what has been one of the greatest experiences of my life, I have been met with such great animosity. In a way, I'd wished that I'd never had anything to do with the trip in the beginning but then, I remembered what the trip is really all about. Our mission team is bringing health and hope to children and their families. God said that those who followed him would be persecuted and when I reflect on this situation, I can see that truth all over.

So today, at the end of the ups and downs of my day, I stand naked in the mirror, looking myself over from the inside out and all in all, I'm happy with what I see. Stand naked in the mirror!! I dare you!! What do you see? Leave your comments and let me know!!

Sammy, Sydney, and I got our Christmas pictures taken today. I can't wait to get them and of course I'll post them when I do!!

6 comments:

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

Sometimes no matter what you do or don't do, some people are just PLAIN MEAN. Some people are so miserable in their own lives that they feel the need to spread "IT" around, and it seems that the nice people get hurt.

As I go into the office today, I am facing a situation with a woman that I bent over backwards to help, her feeling is that I didn't kiss her butt enough, so I refunded her money and threw her out of my office.

I am feeling vindictive about this situation, but after sleeping on it, I have decided to pray for her because she need the kind of help that no earthly person could provide. I feel better now!

We all face the wrath of the miserable people daily and be thankful to the Almighty that you are nowhere as miserable in you life as they are in theirs.

You my dear, Have A Blessed Day!

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

P.S. Now that purse even scares me!

Vixen said...

You are a diamond. Thanks for the encouragement. When you're the type of person that tries to treat people with kindness and not one to get involved in the cattiness, it's hard to understand those that do. I will pray for them...that God will take over in the situation whatever his will may be.

Alise M. said...

Okay......so I stood in front of the mirror naked. I must say that from the neck up " I was fine!". However, from the neck down, chile.....it wasn't pretty. Now don't get me wrong. I loves me some me but I got some work to do on the bottom half of me. I've never been one for New Year's resolutions but I think I'm gonna start doing something about diet and exercise when the new year starts.

By the way. You sound like an incredible woman who does incredible things with her life. Don't let them fools where you work get you down. Keep the faith!

Vixen said...

Alise,

Thanks so much for your compliments. It really means alot to me. Remember that when we stand in the mirror naked, we aim to love ourselves just as we are. Of course, we want to be healthy, but we also want to except our jiggles and puckers and other things. Believe it or not, when you accept how you look now, you actually become more successful in your efforts to lose weight! You can exercise with a self-confidence that says that it doesn't matter how skinny the person next to you on the treadmill is, because you're beautiful anyway! And that YOU are!!

Journeii said...

I hope your trip goes well!! When you're doing something good someone will always be there to bring you down. Don't let her get to you. And I will have to check myself out later ;)
www.journeii@blogspot.com